- Pattern making and placing it the sand mold.
- Making a proper gating system in the mold.
- Removing the pattern.
- Pouring the molten metal in the mold cavity.
- Cooling the mold to the room temperature.
- Breaking the mold and getting the casting.
Before making the mold the properties of the molding sand should be checked. There are different types of molding sands. Each type of sand is used in molding according to the cast materials and application of the materials. Mainly Green or Natural and Synthetic Sands are used.
- Pattern material.
- Pattern Allowances
- Cost of making pattern.
Production steps in sand castings:
Figure: Steps involved in sand casting. This production sequence involves casting operation and pattern and mold making.
After removing the casting engineers should look for the casting defects. If the defects are there then it should be identified.