Cope and drag in Sand Mold :
Cope and Drag are the two parts of the casting flask. Cope is the upper part and drag is the lower part. Even if the casting process is flaskless , the same terms are used for the upper ans lower parts. Generally the flask is made of wood or metal. It contains molding sand. When metal is poured into the mold cavity the flask supports the mold.
If the molten metal is poured directly from the ladle , it will erode the bottom of the mould cavity. So molten metal is poured from the ladle to the cavity through a gating system. The gating system in casting creates a series of channels through which molten metal reaches the cavity. Gating system has
- Pouring Basin : It receives the molten metal from the liquid metal container.
- Sprue : Pouring cup is attached to the sprue. It is vertical in shape . On the other part of the sprue there is part called runner.
- Sprue Base : Its the base of the sprue
- Runner : It is the horizontal part of the gating system. It connects the spues with the gates.
- The next part is the choke.
- Then comes the skim bob
- Gates and ingates : It controls the movement of the metal from the runners into the cavity.